Why Do I Need to Worry About Secure WiFi?
With just a little work, anyone can get into an unsecured network. When someone is in your network, they can:
- Monitor your web activity. When this is happening, the unauthorized individual can not only read your emails and see which sites you visit, they can also steal any of your log-in and personal information that you input online.
- View all of your files on your computer
- Spread a virus on your computer.
- Use your internet connection to perform illegal activity.
- Use your accounts to send spam to all of your contacts.
How Do I Keep The WiFi In My Apartment Safe?
Change Your Preset Name: Every router comes with a preset name, which includes the factory name of the router. The problem with this is that if any potential hackers want to get into your router, they will be able to easily identify vulnerabilities with your network, based on their knowledge of the router model.
Change The Password: Routers also come with a factory password. Again, a hacker knows what router you're using, they can easily guess the password, as well. While you're at it, make sure your password is something unique and difficult to guess! Tip: Avoid pet names (or your own name!) and any combination that makes it easy to figure out.
How Do I Change My WiFi’s Name And Password?
That's it! Now, all you need is the perfect first apartment!